Monday, March 1, 2010

The Snow is Back! (February 27-28, 2010)

On Thursday morning we opened the door to go to our car and were pleasantly surprised to see about 3-4 inches of fresh, fluffy snow. For the past few weeks we had been thinking that spring had already arrived with the warm temps and grassy patches in anyone’s yards. This fresh snow allowed us to get out and do some skiing on Saturday after a long time away from it. As I was setting out down the first small decline, I turned my skis to make the sharp right to stay on trail and spooked a mama moose and her calf. I think I scared them as much as they scared me. I stopped and watched mama go up into the woods and the calf continued down the trail. Eventually, the calf stopped and mama met up with it. At this time Jon came down the hill and got to see them as well. As we began to ski a bit closer the calf took off down the trail and mama moose followed. They are amazing creature, but even more amazing when you get to see those long legs running.

Kenai was under a tsunami advisory on Saturday morning. With the magnitude of the Chile earthquake, they had the entire south Alaskan coast under an advisory. A tsunami advisory is just asking residents not to go in the water or near it. It means a possibility of stronger currents and bigger waves. I don’t think we experienced much if any effects of it.

Looking forward to Mark and Kelly coming in 12 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment