Monday, July 18, 2011

Midnight Salmon Fishing (July 17, 2011)





Quick correction from the last post. I spoke to Jon this morning and his commercial fishing crew caught 55,000 pounds of salmon on Saturday, not 45,000. That is a huge amount! He is out on the boats fishing again today and it sounds like the numbers are still high.

Late last night I went out to the Kenai River with a friend and colleague of ours, Ken, and went fishing for red salmon. The fish were biting! We each caught our limit of three. We filleted them right on the beach. I have officially caught and filleted my first Alaskan salmon! Ken also taught me how to package them without the expense of a vacuum sealer.

There is definitely a rhythm to salmon fishing. It involves a lot of movement in comparison to fishing on Minnesota lakes. In regards to which is more enjoyable, you really cannot compare the two because they are so different from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment