Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spending Time in Homer (Feb. 12-13, 2011)







In case some of you may not know, Jon and I went up to Anchorage on Monday of this past week to see an ENT about my throat, which has been hoarse for the past 6 1/2 months. After numbing my nose and throat, he put a thin, long tube through my nasal passage and down my throat to look at my vocal cords. It was actually quite neat because I couldn't feel any of it and Jon and I both got to watch this on a TV screen because the tube had a tiny camera on the end of it. Anyway, I have a small cyst on my right vocal cord. He says it is benign. I will be going in for surgery this Thursday to have it removed. If all goes well, I should sound like my old self again and hopefully will regain my ability to sing. Please keep us in your prayers, as I am a bit nervous. On the up side, our trip up to Anchorage gave us an opportunity to take in some beautiful sitings of Dall sheep. We saw them on our drive up and back. The first group was only about 30 feet above us on the cliff and as we approached, one even turned and looked at us for a bit. The second batch was not even on the cliff, but right along side the road, feeding on various grasses and forbes in the ditch. The Anchorage area currently does not have much snow, making foraging very easy for the sheep.

We had a wonderful, carefree weekend away from home. On Saturday morning we headed down to Homer to celebrate our 2 year anniversary! We had three different snowshoes hare sitings, eleven moose sitings, and two pheasant sitings. Pheasants are not native to Alaska. They were introduced here a ways back and they have been able to live off the land. We stayed at one of our co-workers cabins about a block away from the beach, making it easy to access various places in town. We discovered some cross country ski trails and took some of those in on Saturday afternoon. For dinner we ate at a new restaurant to us called Cafe Cups. To be Alaskan, we both tried a seafood fetticine, which included all the seafood in the house: cod, rock fish, clams, prawns, and scallops. On Sunday we walked to Two Sisters Bakery and had the best cinnamon rolls I have ever had (and this is coming from someone who really doesn't like pastries). For you Hinckley folk, they were much better than Tobies! The beach was rolling in the waves with about 4-6 foot crests. It also offered some gorgeous views of Mt. Augustine. Before leaving Homer we did a bit of snowshoeing up at Carl E. Wynn Nature Center. The weather was brisk but clear and sunny the entire time. The two of us completely disconnected from work, which was a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment